JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - A Jackson teenager blames a bad manicure for a lost nail and several hospital stays. Now, her family says the shop owner won't take responsibility for the infection that developed.
Virgie Peterson was 13-years-old last August when her mother treated her to a back to school manicure. But days later, she said the acrylic began chipping, she felt pain, and the nail on her ring finger lifted.
"It's been really painful. He cut down to my bone," said Peterson.
She returned to Pro Nails Salon on Northside Drive.
"We went back to the nail shop and the lady, she took the nail off and all we seen was pus and my tissue growing out of my finger," said the incoming Lanier high school freshman.
The saxophone player said she lost her nail to infection and is now being treated by a plastic surgeon.
"I had a third surgery. He did a skin graft, took my skin off and put it on top of my finger with stitches. So, now we're trying to see where it goes from here," added Peterson.
Her grandmother, Virgie Williams, said employees at Pro Nails did not want to take responsibility when she requested information about their insurance. She accuses them of unsafe business practices.
"Stop using the same tools on people...I've seen them take the manicure tools and just put alcohol on them, take a towel and rub it and go back to work," said Williams.
We went to the shop to talk to the owner, but he was not there. During a phone call, he said he was unaware of Peterson's situation.
He was told about Peterson's claims and her request for the salon's insurance information to assist her with her medical treatment. Peterson said she learned that the man who actually did her manicure is no longer working at the shop.
Salon owner Son Nguyen did not want to talk on camera, but said he would be contacting Mrs. Williams and her granddaughter to try to rectify the problem.
The now 14-year-old and her grandmother have not returned to the shop for manicures. Williams said she was told by an attorney that little could be done because she did not receive a receipt for the service.