Officials: Overnight Clinton house fire caused by unattended candle

Published: Mar. 16, 2023 at 7:03 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CLINTON, Miss. (WLBT) - The Clinton Fire Department has closed its investigation into a fire that sent one person to the hospital Thursday morning.

It happened at 1208 Huntcliff Way, between the Natchez Trace and East Northside Drive.

Clinton Fire Chief Jeff Blackledge said a distress call came in at 4:59 a.m. from a woman trapped inside the home.

Fire Rescue was successful in pulling the woman and her husband from a window on the backside of the house.

Paramedics began performing CPR on the husband before he was taken to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Chief Blackledge said the family’s dog was also a victim of smoke inhalation, and was administered oxygen before being taken to the Flowood Animal Emergency Center.

Clinton firefighters were joined by Jackson Police and the Hinds County Sheriff’s Office as they worked to get the fire under control.

After less than a 12-hour investigation, Chief Blackledge confirmed that the cause of the fire was due to an unattended candle in the home.

Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.