JPS schools to remain virtual through Thursday and Friday
Students will continue online learning for the remainder of the week from Thursday, September 1 to Friday, September 2.
“While progress is being made toward resolving this massive challenge, the overwhelming majority of our schools still have low or no water pressure. Additionally, we have several schools whose air conditioning system depends on water to run effectively,” the press release said.
Child Nutrition will serve grab-and-go breakfast and lunch meals from 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. at the following school sites on Thursday, September 1:
- Bates Elementary, 3180 McDowell Road Extension
- Boyd Elementary, 4531 Broadmeadow Drive
- Casey Elementary, 2101 Lake Circl3
- Clausell Elementary, 330 Harley Street
- Dawson Elementary, 4215 Sunset Drive
- Galloway Elementary, 186 Idlewild Street
- Green Elementary, 610 Forest Avenue
- Isable Elementary, 1716 Isable Street
- Lake Elementary, 472 Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Marshall Elementary, 2909 Oak Forest Drive
- Obama IB Elementary, 750 North Congress Street
- Shirley Elementary, 330 Judy Drive
- Blackburn Middle, 1311 West Pearl Street
- Brinkley Middle, 3535 Albermarle
- Chastain Middle, 4650 Manhattan Road
- Northwest Middle, 7020 Highway 49
- Callaway High, 601 Beasley Road
- Jim Hill High, 2185 Coach Harris Drive
- Lanier High, 833 West Maple Street
In JPS athletics, the following football games will continue as scheduled:
- Thursday, September 1, Hazlehurst vs. Wingfield at South Jackson Field, 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 2, Port Gibson vs. Jim Hill at North Jackson Field, 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday, September 2, South Jones vs. Forest Hill at South Jackson Field, 7:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Portable restrooms will be on-site at these games for restroom breaks.
The JPS will also have to cancel the “Graduation Classic.”
“Due to the lack of water at the facility and the large crowd anticipated, we had to temporarily cancel the “Graduation Classic” football game at the MS Veterans Memorial Stadium for Saturday, September 3. The games include Murrah vs. Callaway and Provine vs. Lanier high schools.”
“We also want to remind everyone that the Warmline, 601-713-4358, is open from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily and is specifically dedicated to assisting families who are overwhelmed due to the challenges of virtual learning and water outage stressors.”
The JPS is working to reschedule the game at another location and anticipates to release more information on Thursday.
Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Copyright 2022 WLBT. All rights reserved.