Police still investigating deadly Madison crash, ten months later

New information from departmental document chronicles what led to collision

Madison PD Crash Investigation

MADISON, MS (WLBT) - Madison police gave few details for why they still haven’t completed the investigation into a deadly crash between a pickup truck and four motorcycles that took place in July 2018, citing lab results as a contributing factor.

The incident, which took place on Highway 463 near Old Mannsdale Road on July 28, 2018, occurred when the driver of a Chevrolet 1500 drifted into oncoming traffic and struck four cyclists, killing two.

Through a public records request, 3 On Your Side obtained the incident report from the Madison Police Department, which sheds some light on the driver’s actions.

“He was heading west on Highway 463 when he looked down to grab his phone to call his dad,” the report states. “[Redacted] then stated he heard a loud boom noice (sic) which threw him to the floorboard.”

One of the Madison police investigators said the driver did not know what he had hit until he got out of the truck and “saw total mayhem behind him.”

The report states the driver also signed consent forms to have his blood drawn at UMC.

The crash killed Jack Harper, 58; Robert Lenoir, 65; and injured the other two cyclists.

Madison police, other first responders investigate a deadly crash on Highway 463. (Source: WLBT)
Madison police, other first responders investigate a deadly crash on Highway 463. (Source: WLBT)

The driver’s interview, which was recorded and entered into evidence, was alsp supplemented with other interviews and a toxicology test, according to the incident report.

However, Madison police have not yet turned over the case to Madison-Rankin District Attorney Bubba Bramlett for grand jury consideration.

“The investigation is very detailed and complex and has been quite methodical,” said MPD Capt. Kevin Newman in a text response to questions about the delay. “The delay will make more sense to the public as the case moves forward and more info becomes available.”

Newman said he could not answer specific questions about the case because it’s under investigation.

He also said the delays did not result from anything related to the Mississippi Crime Laboratory in Pearl.

“I want to be clear it was not due to a backlog at the state crime laboratory,” Newman said. “Comprehensive out-of-state testing had to occur.”

Newman also declined to elaborate on the types of testing conducted, though the incident report implied toxicology would be part of it.

Maj. Robert Sanders said they expect to be done with the case soon.

“We’re waiting on a couple of final things and then we’ll meet with the DA’s office and get a recommendation on whether or not to go to the grand jury,” Sanders said.

No charges have been filed in the case.

Copyright 2019 WLBT. All rights reserved.