ATLANTA, GA (WLBT) - The Black College Football Hall of Fame announced today the 25 Finalists for induction into the Class of 2019 Black College Football Hall of Fame. The list includes 22 players and three coaches.
The Finalists were selected from a field of over 150 nominees by a 12-member Selection Committee composed of prominent journalists, commentators, historians, former NFL General Managers and football executives.
“We congratulate the Finalists for the Class of 2019,” said James “Shack” Harris, Black College Football Co-Founder and 2012 Inductee. “Each of these Finalists made a significant impact on the game of football, both in college and the professional ranks.”
The committee will meet again in the coming weeks to select the six members (five players and one coach) who will be inducted as the Black College Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019.
“The talent that has come from Black College Football programs is incredible,” said Committee Chairman Roscoe Nance, "and that makes selecting the honorees incredibly difficult. Thanks to our Selection Committee for its dedication and commitment and for the tremendous amount time and effort that the members put into making these decisions.”
This year’s inductees will be announced on October 25, 2018. They will be honored during the Black College Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, on February 16, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia.
For more information, click here.
- Joe “747” Adams (QB, Tennessee State University, 1977-1980)
- Coy Bacon (DL, Jackson State University, 1964-1967)
- Dwaine Board (DE, North Carolina A&T State University, 1975-1978)
- Emerson Boozer (RB, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 1962-1965)
- Greg Coleman (P, Florida A&M University, 1972-1975)
- Kevin Dent (S, Jackson State University, 1985-1988)
- Hugh Douglas (DE, Central State University, 1991-1994)
- Donald Driver (WR, Alcorn State University, 1995-1998)
- Earl “Air” Harvey (QB, North Carolina Central University, 1985-1988)
- James Hunter (DB, Grambling State University, 1972-1975)
- Richard "Tombstone" Jackson (DE, Southern University, 1962-1965)
- Henry Lawrence (OL, Florida A&M University, 1970-1973)
- Greg Lloyd (LB Fort Valley State University, 1983-1986)
- Leo “Lincoln Locomotive” Lewis (RB, Lincoln University, 1951-1954)
- Frank Lewis (WR, Grambling State University, 1967-1970)
- Robert Mathis (LB, Alabama A&M University, 1999-2002)
- Tyrone McGriff (OL, Florida A&M University, 1976-1979)
- John "Big Train" Moody (RB, Morris Brown College, 1939-1941)
- Timmy Newsome (RB/KR, Winston Salem State University, 1976-1979)
- Nate Newton (OL, Florida A&M University, 1979-1982)
- John Taylor, (WR, Delaware State University, 1982-1985)
- Johnny Walton (QB, Elizabeth City State University, 1965-1968)
- Erik Williams (OL, Central State University, 1987-1990)
- Roynell Young (DB, Alcorn State University, 1976-1979)
- Willard Bailey (Head Football Coach, Virginia Union 1971-1983 and 1995-2003; Norfolk State 1984-1992; St. Paul’s 2005-2010; Virginia-Lynchburg 2011-2013)
- Arnett “Ace” Mumford (Head Football Coach, Jarvis Christian 1924-1926; Bishop College 1927-1929; Texas College 1931-1935; Southern University 1936-1961)
- Joe Taylor (Howard University 1983; Virginia Union 1984-1991; Hampton University 1992-2007; Florida A&M University 2008-2012)