JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - Some of the midway rides and other attractions associated with the Mississippi State Fair have begun to arrive at the State Fairgrounds in Jackson in anticipation of opening day on October 3.
At the same time, a new Mississippi Trade Mart is under construction adjacent to the Mississippi Coliseum. The Mississippi Fair Commission’s new executive director, Steve Hutton, says Trade Mart construction should not impact the midway itself, which he says will retain its usual layout. He says most of the affected areas would typically be used for “backstage” elements like trucks, generators and vendor parking.
“This construction project will have no impact whatsoever on the fair this year,” Hutton said. “The only difference is some of the parking for our vendors. What we’re most excited about is this new Trade Mart which will be attached to the Coliseum. It’s going to give us additional impact in future years on being able to expand some shows.”
Hutton says the temporary construction fencing that now surrounds the construction area will be moved back to open more of the area for use during the fair.
Here’s a list of the featured concert performers this year:
- Chris Janson (October 3 at 7:30)
- Hinder (October 4 at 7:30)
- Hannah Belle (October 5 at 8:00)
- Goodpaper of the Reverend Robert Mortimer (October 6 at 8:00)
- Jason and Destiny Project (October 7 at 6:00)
- En Vogue (October 8 at 7:30)
- The Marshall Tucker Band (October 9 at 7:30)
- Colt Ford (October 10 at 7:30)
- Mercy Me (October 11 at 7:00)
- Luckenbach (October 12 at 8:00)
- Fred T and the Band (October 13 at 8:00)
The fair opens at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 3, and runs through Sunday, October 14. Weekday admission and parking are free until 1:00 p.m., except on Columbus Day. Admission after 1:00 and on weekends is $5. Children under 6 can get in for free. Fairgrounds parking is $5.
For more information, click here.