JATRAN adding eight new vehicles to its fleet - WLBT.com - Jackson, MS

JATRAN adding eight new vehicles to its fleet

JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT
JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT
JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT
JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (WLBT) -

JATRAN announced it will be adding new vehicles to its fleet. This is good news for handicapped and elderly residents. 

The city has been given the go ahead to purchase 8 new vehicles to be added to the JATRAN fleet. If all goes according to plan they will be in service no later than October of next year. 

During Tuesday night's City Council meeting, council members unanimously approved the purchase of the ADA compliant vehicles. 

Christine Welch,  the Deputy Director of Transportation for the city of Jackson said, "We have a replacement plan with the federal government so every so many years when these vehicles exhaust their use for life, we replace these vehicles,".

Four buses and four vans will be joining the JATRAN fleet. 

"The city of Jackson has a very active ADA community as well as an elderly community," Welch said.

Right now, some commuters have difficulty getting on the bus.

"These steps and you have to catch the rail and your gate might not be very accessible to going up and down stairwells," said Welch.

The new vehicles will also have ramps installed. 

"A ramp is even with the ground or your driveway," added Welch.

70 yr-old Vernon Collins is a longtime bus rider who uses a cane. Collins says he is very grateful that the city is getting the new buses.

"Out of all of the buses you have only about 5% of them kneel," he says. He is grateful that people like him have not been forgotten. 

When the bus pulled and Collins took his first step, he paused and said "See what I mean?" then slowly continued up the stairs.

80% of the purchase cost for the vehicles will be paid for by the Federal Transit Administration and the remaining 20% will come from the city of Jackson.

Copyright 2018 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly