Mississippi Choctaw Tribal Council stands by constitutionality o - WLBT.com - Jackson, MS

Mississippi Choctaw Tribal Council stands by constitutionality of policy

Source: Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians Source: Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians
CHOCTAW COUNTY, MS (WLBT) -

On June 27, the Tribal Chief of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians and four political appointees filed a lawsuit in the Mississippi Choctaw Tribal Court challenging the constitutionality of a handful of provisions contained in a personnel policy enacted earlier this year by the Mississippi Choctaw Tribal Council. 

The Tribal Constitution requires the Tribal Council to “establish procedures for the conduct of all tribal government and business operations” and to “establish a basic departmental structure for the tribal government executive branch.”  

The Tribal Council enacted the amended personnel policy to fulfill this responsibility and remains confident that the personnel policy is constitutional in its entirety, and that it strikes a reasonable balance between the roles of the executive and legislative branches.

The personnel policy was enacted after months of diligent effort by the Tribal Council – with participation from the Tribal Chief and the executive branch – to provide additional benefits and protections for the many individuals whose employment relationship with the Tribe is governed by the personnel policy.  

By design, the personnel policy now affords employees the option to receive compensation for certain unused vacation time, bolsters employee privacy protections, and affords employees a mechanism to acquire additional paid leave for certain serious illnesses.

While the executive and legislative branches reached consensus on most aspects of the personnel policy during the months preceding its enactment, there were and continue to be divergent viewpoints regarding the constitutionality of others.  

The Tribe has established an independent judiciary to review the issues raised in the suit.

Copyright 2016 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:41 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:41:49 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
  • US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:49 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:49:03 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • 3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 7:16 AM EDT2018-08-21 11:16:10 GMT

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly