Outdated listings on MDES web site cause job seekers frustration - WLBT.com - Jackson, MS

Outdated listings on MDES web site cause job seekers frustrations

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (WLBT) -

Some starting the new year hope new jobs are in their future. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security helps find some of those positions, but some job seekers say they are coming up short.

One Jackson woman said turning to the state employment agency may not get you work but headaches instead. This comes after weeks of using the MDES web site.

Shonja Riptoe has been searching the MDES web site for jobs for the past few weeks. She's currently in employed but not in her field as an administrative assistant and executive secretary.

The Jackson native has been to the WIN Job Center and is scouring more than a hundred pages on the web site for work, but made a disappointing discovery.

"It's very misleading because some of the companies are closed," said Riptoe. "The jobs range went back as far as 2010, several  2011,2012 , 2013 and the jobs are outdated. They're obsolete." 

The 55 year old said she was hopeful when the site indicated that there were more than 1,500 jobs offered within 25 miles of Jackson.

"I'd like to know who's maintaining their web site, because I saw on there that they were the winner for the government 2014 web site," added the Jackson native. "So what I've seen so far is that they're advertising jobs that aren't even available." 

But in reality she says her time and tax dollars are being wasted.

The majority of the listing were recent from 2013 and 2014. There is also a more than four year old posting for a security installation and sales technician.

"It's posted on March 12 2010," said Riptoe. "This is just one of the many many outdated jobs." 

Riptoe also said after forgetting her password she met with more frustration when told to call the 1-800 number to change it.

"I've called that number probably at least 60 times. The longest I've held was an hour and seven minutes.What in the world are our tax dollars going for?" she asked.

We reached out to the MDES for comment. Officials there have not had an opportunity to review Riptoe's concerns about the outdated job listings. We hope to update you soon with their response.

Copyright 2015  MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Man admits slaying wife, blames her for daughters' deaths

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:41 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:41:49 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
  • US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    US deports former Nazi camp guard, 95, to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Tuesday, August 21 2018 9:51 AM EDT2018-08-21 13:51:41 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • 3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    3-year-old found dead in dryer, father says

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 7:16 AM EDT2018-08-21 11:16:10 GMT

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>

    Authorities have yet to determine a cause of death for a boy found dead at a townhouse. The boy's father said after a rough night, he found the boy dead in the dryer.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly