Winston County getting more tornado recovery funding - WLBT.com - Jackson, MS

Winston County getting more tornado recovery funding

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
WASHINGTON, D. C (WLBT) -

U.S. Senators Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker, and Representative Alan Nunnelee today reported that more than $3.90 million in federal funding is being made available to recoup the cost of tornado damage debris removal in Louisville and Winston County.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has told the Mississippi lawmakers that two FEMA Disaster Recovery Fund grants have been approved to continue to offset recovery costs associated with the fatal tornado that hit Louisville and Winston County in late April.

The federal disaster agency is providing $2.16 million in federal funding for debris removal costs in Louisville and $1.73 million for the same work in Winston County.

“Debris removal is a necessary part of any disaster recovery process, particularly when the damage is as severe as that experienced by the citizens of Louisville and Winston County,” said Cochran, who serves on the Senate appropriations subcommittee with jurisdiction over FEMA. “I'm pleased that these grants have been approved, and I will continue working to ensure that FEMA and other federal agencies are responsive to our ongoing recovery needs.”

Both public assistance grants will cover 81 percent of the costs associated with the total project cost for both Louisville ($2.17 million) and Winston County ($2.70 million). The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency will cover the remaining 19 percent of the cost, pursuant to a law approved during a special session of the legislature following the storm.

Copyright 2014 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly