Giving Tuesday. the National Day of Giving, is coming up on December 2.
Before donating to a charity this season, it is wise to carefully review a charity and ensure it is a trustworthy organization.
BBB Wise Giving Alliance, along with Better Business Bureaus across North America, has issued some tips to help you safely donate to charities.
"Our main objective is to help donors find charities they can trust," remarks H. Art Taylor, president and CEO, BBB WGA. "We believe our rigorous reviews help verify trust before you donate."
Here are the tips:
1. Watch out for copycats. There may be hundreds of charities seeking support in the same category, and some may have similar sounding names. Don't fall for a case of mistaken identity.
2. Consider the whole picture, not just finances. While financial ratios help in identifying cases of financial abuse, it's a mistake to use them as the sole basis for making a giving decision. A good ratio does not necessarily mean a charity is well managed, honest in its appeals, transparent about its activities, and effective in achieving its mission.
3. Avoid being pressured. Don't succumb to pressure to make an on-the-spot giving decision. Responsible organizations will welcome your gift tomorrow just as much as today.
4. Keep emotions in check. Donors need to be mindful that con artists will often strike when emotions are running high. Always take a moment to verify that your selected charity operates ethically.
5. Rely on rigorous evaluations. Charities can demonstrate they are trustworthy by undergoing a rigorous evaluation based on holistic standards such as the 20 BBB Standards for Charity Accountability. Get free access to BBB Charity Reports at Give.org.
Kick off your holiday season by giving back to those in need - just make sure give wisely!
Copyright 2014 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.
Story idea or news tip? Email us at News@WLBT.COM or call 601-960-4426.
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, MS 39201