JACKSON, MS (WLBT) -
* Southern Miss picked up its third consecutive win over Marshall (24-14 in 2016, 28-27 in 2017).
* Marshall won the coin toss and deferred to the second half. Southern Miss received and defended the north endzone.
* Southern Miss’ captains were Darian Yancey, Quez Watkins and DQ Thomas.
* Game attendance: 20,375
* Southern Miss finished with 222 yards of offense. The last time it had 250 or less in a win was the 2004 season opener versus Nebraska (239).
* The Golden Eagles started with three freshmen in the backfield (Tate Whatley at QB, Steven Anderson and Trivenskey Mosley at RB).
* Tate Whatley made his first-career start at quarterback. He ran for a career-long 18-yard rush on his first snap.
* Whatley finished with 25 of the team’s 45 rush attempts and led the way with 40 yards. It marked the second consecutive game in which a quarterback was the leading rusher. The previous time a QB had accomplished the single-game feat was Keon Howard at Old Dominion in 2016.
* Whatley also completed his first three passes on the heels of a 6-for-8 outing at Charlotte.
* The Golden Eagles put together a 12-play, 39-yard drive that took 7:35 off the clock to begin the game. It was the longest of the season in terms of possession. It ended with a 45-yard Parker Shaunfield field goal.
* Quez Watkins has now scored a touchdown in six of the team’s eight games.
* Whatley’s 57-yard completion to Watkins early in the fourth quarter was the longest pass of his career and longest of the game.
* The 13-play, 94-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter was the third of 90-plus yards this season (also against Jackson State and Rice).
* De’Michael Harris’ 29-yard rush was a career-long.
* Southern Miss has scored on 15 consecutive red-zone trips at home after going 3-for-3 against Marshall.
* Darian Yancey’s 17-yard fumble return for a touchdown was Southern Miss’ first since Xavier Marion (26 yards) versus Jackson State in the season opener.
* Ky’el Hemby picked up his team-leading third interception in the third quarter. It set up a 23-yard Parker Shaunfield field goal.
* Hemby matches Tarvarius Moore (2017) for most interceptions in a single-season of the Jay Hopson era.
* It was the second time Southern Miss held an opponent to below 50 percent passing (17-for-38).
* Marshall had just 218 yards passing, the seventh time in eight games the Golden Eagles held their opponent to 250 or less.
* The Herd also recorded 31 rushing yards, the fewest allowed by Southern Miss since UTEP had 17 in 2017.
Special Teams Notes
* Parker Shaunfield’s first-quarter field goal tied him with Corey Acosta (2011-14) for third all-time with 43.
* T.J. Harvey made his collegiate debut at long snapper.
* Southern Miss now has four consecutive November wins dating back to last year.
* The touchdown pass and fumble recovery late in the second half came in a span of 15 seconds. It was the first time scoring twice in under a minute since LA Tech in 2017 (FG, TD). It was also the first time the team scored two touchdowns in under 30 seconds since the 2015 regular-season finale at LA Tech (two TDs in 21 seconds).
* Southern Miss had possession for 38:13, its best mark since 40:52 at Louisiana Tech in 2017.